Friday 7 August 2015

Seasons

August has come and so the end of the summer crawls ever closer. While at work today (I work on a passenger ferry going back and forth in the Lake District), I noticed the differences already being made to the trees and the world around me because of the change in seasons. This, as most things do, then made me think about fantasy writing.

I have not noticed much to do with the change in seasons in the books I have read. The big one off the top of my head is G.R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire', but again this feels as a cop out because although the season of WINTER is mentioned, it does not pass as normal and the changes are gradual. I look to Lord of the Rings and cannot remember much if any mention of seasons.

I cannot help but feel that using seasons is a great opportunity for both description and allegory, whether you stick to convention seasons or create your own. I sure will!

No comments:

Post a Comment